Schwab MoneyWise ®

Renters Insurance

Don't forget this step

Our Two Cents

Replacement cost coverage vs. actual cash value (ACV)—When you shop for an insurance policy, understand whether you are buying coverage for your belongings' full replacement cost or for its lower depreciated value (otherwise known as ACV). And always keep an inventory of your possessions, complete with photos, written lists and even a video for proof of ownership.

Your homeowner's policy may cover your children in a dorm room, but not in their own apartment. So when your kids are on their own, it's time to consider renters insurance.

Why renters insurance is a smart option

If your young adult owns valuable audio equipment, instruments, computers, research material or other items that would be costly to replace, renters insurance makes sense. Some policies offer up to $25,000 of coverage for less than $300 per year.

If your son or daughter owns unusually expensive items, like a rare piece of jewelry or artwork, a separate insurance rider may be necessary.

Make sure your kids know that damage to their property caused by natural disasters is often not covered.

For example, if they live in an area prone to flooding or earthquakes, they'll need to buy separate policies or riders. In some coastal regions where hurricanes occur, they might also need separate riders to cover wind damage.


The information on this website is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax, legal, or investment planning advice. Where specific advice is necessary or appropriate, consult with a qualified tax advisor, CPA, financial planner, or investment manager.

The Charles Schwab Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, private foundation that is not part of Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. or its parent company, The Charles Schwab Corporation.

Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. ("Schwab"). All rights reserved. Member SIPC.